Yoko Ono Performs ‘VOICE PIECE FOR SOPRANO & WISH TREE’

Imagine you have just a few hours to spend at MoMA, you get there and are subjected to this ridiculous bullshit. This is what happens when you surround yourself with people who do nothing but kiss your ass. You end up thinking everything you do is great. It’s the same thing that happened to Eddie Murphy. You start with “Raw” and end up with “Meet Dave,” “Daddy Day Care” and “Norbit.” At least in Eddie’s case you have to make the decision to see those films. Yoko is subjecting innocent art fans to her ridiculous arrogance. This is possibly the most pretentious and narcissistic ‘art piece’ ever performed.

Comments

1. Richard says:

I think you’re being a little harsh on yoko. I would’ve found this pretty refreshing, to see someone stand up in a public place and just spew nonsense into a microphone. I agree a lot of art, especially post-modern works can seem pretentious. But this is definitely not the most pretentious and narcissistic art piece ever. Thanks for the video though!

2. liquidheaven says:

There is no redeeming value or quality to that ‘art’ imo

3. Henry says:

I agree with Richard…

I went to the MoMA for the first time last week, and that mic was still standing. Instead of Yoko Ono, visitors were invited to yell and scream into the mic at random intervals. It certainly wasn’t pleasing to the senses, but it was fun to watch different people muster up the courage to go yell in a mic.

Her performance could be considered narcissistic art, but compared to most pieces on display in the MoMA, this is tame.

4. Oh, Yoko. says:

You might not have noticed, but there are plenty of people spewing nonsense and screaming at the tops of their lungs scattered throughout the entirety of New York City, though I doubt you’ll find their “courage” “fun”, “pretentious” or “refreshing”.

5. liquidheaven says:

Turns out I’m going to the MoMA in a couple of weeks. If that mic is there I will make a scene.

6. steveo says:

Art like beauty is subjective and the value is in the eyed and ears of the beholder. I remember seeing Andy Kaufman do some pretty rediculous shit but I never considered it narcissistic or pretentious, just crazy and sometimes hilarious.

Although in Yoko’s case I think you are right, it’s been a long time since she’s done anything great, if ever. But maybe she’s happy enough creating a scene. It’s more than most people do.